You might have heard a lot of advice from different people asking you to implement downclocking or underclock a CPU. Well, the main purpose behind underclocking is to reduce the power consumption of the PCs and reduce the emission of heat from the machines. This in turn increases the battery life of your CPU and Processor.
So, after reading about the benefits of underclocking and the hype around this process, you might also be tempted to attempt underclocking on your computer. However, if you do not know how to accomplish this process, then do not worry. We are here with complete guidance over how to underclock a CPU.
So, without wasting any further time, let us dive into the process of underclocking.
Underclocking through BIOS
Well, the easiest and the fastest way out there to underclock a CPU is by going into the BIOS of the computer. Here are the steps to achieve underclocking by the method of BIOS:
- Press the BIOS key for the motherboard of your computer when your PC is booting.
- If you can not find the BIOS key of your computer, try F1, F2, F10, F12, F11, del, or ESC keys. These keys usually take you to the BIOS of your computer.
- Then by using the arrow keys in the BIOS, navigate through it and select and enter the Advanced Frequency Settings. In some computers, it may be called Frequency Control as well.
- There you can observe your CPU frequency which you can change by the arrow up and arrow down keys.
- Adjust the CPU frequency according to the amount of underclocking you want.
- Note: Always adjust CPU frequency with minor changes and then boot back into windows and do a stress test and even monitor temperature rise in your CPU.
- If the settings that you had done before the stress test are your desired changes, then congrats you have done the underclocking of the CPU. If not, repeat the cycle until you have your desired underclocking achieved.
Another method of underclocking
- Firstly, you have to go to https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner and download the required software – MSI afterburner.
- Install the software by following the on-screen instructions.
- Then open the software after the installation.
- Now, you can make your desired adjustments. But before that, counter-check that your graphic card is detected.
- At the center of the screen, you might be looking at a Core Cloak meter. Lower it down to underclock your PC.
- Now just click Apply and save the settings in your preferred slot.
- This is how you underclock your PC without the use of BIOS.
There are many other ways out there as well, but we had tested these two ways and found excellent results therefore we also recommend you to follow these steps.
Do you really want to do underclocking?
Although we have mentioned the way of achieving underclocking, it depends on your PC usage requirements to whether to go for underclocking or not and by how much amount you want to underclock as well. Some of the common reasons that we have seen people going for underclocking include increasing the lifespan of the computer by reducing the thermals. However, bear in mind that underclocking may sometimes reduce the performance of your CPU to a minute extent and this effect may vary from one machine to another machine.
Another thing to have an idea of is that you are not actually required to do underclocking on a laptop as it naturally goes for underclocking when it is not plugged in.
In a nutshell
Our final thoughts on the process of underclocking are that it is a great way of saving some energy consumption and reducing electricity bills and even save your PC from overheating. By implementing this process, you may also increase the battery life of your computer or laptop. Therefore, underclocking is a good thing to do if you are ready to accept a little bit of the slower speed of your CPU.
Frequently Asked Question
How to underclock a CPU without bios?
To help you underclock the CPU without bios, just go to the power options in the hardware and sound. There select the power saving option and then click on change plan settings. Then go to the advanced settings and turn off the PCI express and then select processor power management and change the settings according to your underclocking needs.
Does undervolting reduce the performance of the CPU?
In general, overclocking reduces the performance as the machine starts to emit a lot of heat. While, on the other hand, undervolting usually does not reduce the performance of your PC but the performance and effect of undervolting may vary from one machine to another machine. One thing that you need to be careful of is that undervolting may jeopardize your CPU’s stability.
Does undervolting increase battery life?
The concept of undervolting is to reduce the power consumption by decreasing the consumption of the CPU voltage. In undervolting, you also reduce the temperature at which the computer is running thus saving it from heating up. Therefore, undervolting may increase your battery life with a drop in the temperature of your machine.